A lot goes into tracking commercial vehicles and drivers. The best fleet management software can make the process simpler, more efficient, and less expensive. This software may help you remain on top of what’s most essential for the vehicles, trucks, and vans in your fleet, from planned maintenance and component inventories to real-time location monitoring and document storage. Here are our top three fleet management system recommendations.
What Exactly Is Fleet Management?
Fleet management is the management of a company’s commercial vehicles in order to increase productivity and cost-effectiveness while maintaining safety and customer satisfaction. Fleet management software offers fleet managers a single real-time dashboard from which to control performance and maintenance, ensuring that fleet operations function smoothly.
The Advantages of Fleet Management
Fleet management software lets fleet managers see where and how vehicles are moving in real-time, as well as how well drivers are doing, how much fuel they are using, and if there might be any delays.
Fleet management software can assure the following:
- Before beginning a trip, check regional driving restrictions.
- Improvements in driver safety, performance, and satisfaction
- There is less paperwork, lower error margins, and less room for intervention.
- Real-time tracking of both stationary and mobile assets
- Reduced fuel consumption
- improved client satisfaction.
How to Select the Most Appropriate Fleet Management Software
When looking for the finest fleet management software, make sure it offers the following basic features:
Driver management is the monitoring and measurement of critical driving factors such as acceleration, forceful braking, speeding, and excessive idling. When you provide feedback to the drivers, they can take corrective action.
- increase driver productivity and efficiency.
- This reduces the likelihood of accidents.
- Reduced fuel usage
- improved vehicle performance.
When you invest in promoting healthy driving habits, you boost driver retention.
Vehicle management might include a GPS system to track cars and an alarm system for a fleet of cars.
A GPS tracking device. GPS vehicle monitoring provides fleet managers with real-time access to the whereabouts of their cars. This enables them to determine where cars are at any given time, as well as whether they are moving, idling, or parked. GPS tracking assists fleet managers in optimising efficiency and providing precise delivery time estimate to clients, thus improving the overall customer experience. The majority of fleet management software includes GPS tracking via the driver’s phone.
Fleet Security System. A fleet alarm system can alert you to problems while your cars are on the road. For example, an alarm system may alert a motorist to turn off their engine if they have been stopped for an extended period of time with the engine running. This can assist in decreasing fuel waste. If the driver fails to switch off the engine, the fleet management may be notified to contact the driver.
Also Check: 15 Best Trucking Companies In North America (2022)
Management of Operations
Planning and keeping track of routes, keeping track of fuel, and keeping track of tasks are all parts of fleet operations management.
- Route planning and tracking By comparing historical performance for documented trips and projecting future events, fleet management software aids in route optimization. This results in shorter wait times and a better customer experience.
- Fuel management Fuel expenditures are a significant portion of a fleet’s operating budget. Route optimization automatically results in decreased fuel usage and expenses.
- Task management Vehicles, drivers, and routes are optimised by operations management to guarantee that each order is filled as fast as possible, resulting in a superior customer experience. Each product’s position is tracked in real time using fleet management software. So, if there is a delay, customers can be told ahead of time and, if needed, paid.
Integration of software
Fleets do not function in isolation. They must be completely integrated with all other corporate operations. Your fleet management software should be able to work in tandem with other company technologies such as CRM and inventory management. After each delivery, drivers can use mobile apps for the fleet management solution to send in real-time data, which changes the status of all other cases right away.
Fleet management can help you manage inventory, whether it’s components for fleet maintenance or items being delivered. Driver mobile apps may be directly linked to inventory levels, updating the status as components are utilised or items are delivered. In some cases, a platform may even place orders for you when the number of items in stock falls below a certain threshold.
Forbes Advisor set out to find the best fleet management software by evaluating each provider on a number of criteria, including price, must-have features, and overall value for money. We rated each piece of software on a 5-star scale, with 5 stars being the highest.
In our rating, we evaluated the following factors for each category:
- Fees and costs Fleet management software with free trials or low-cost starter plans received more credit than more expensive options. People who offered full functionality on lower tiers got more attention than those who saved features for the highest tier.
- characteristics in general. Some functions, such as real-time location monitoring, service history tracking, and document management, must be included in order to be deemed the finest fleet management software. Those that additionally provide maintenance warnings, dispatching, and route monitoring received higher marks.
- Simple to use. We also looked at each fleet management software solution’s learning curve, since if you can’t rapidly adapt to the software, you’re less likely to utilise it. Hardware installation should be simple to handle yourself or be included in your package.
- customer service. Finally, we looked at what current customers thought of each fleet management programme. Software businesses that provide 24-hour help were also rated better.
Companies that provide fleet management software
Here we compile a list of some of the best fleet management software to try in 2022.
#1. Rand McNally
Rand McNally has invested a large amount of time in creating DriverConnect, their trademark fleet management software suite. This software package:
- is a single platform with a plethora of capabilities designed for fleets of all sizes.
- It takes advantage of cloud-based telematics to provide various current and extremely valuable features.
- Because contemporary fleets require specialised solutions, is a versatile, mix-and-match fleet management system.
- This includes IFTA and DVIR reporting, as well as HOS compliance.
- GPS monitoring, driver and vehicle analytics, dashcams, and navigation are all included.
- Customizable workflow templates and text-based communications help to streamline corporate processes.
- With accurate daily reports and measures of driver performance, it helps office teams coach drivers and stop unsafe behaviour.
- It can be used in conjunction with geofencing technology to notify your team when a driver leaves or enters restricted regions without authorization.
#2. Webfleet Solutions
Webfleet Solutions (previously TomTom Telematics) has created fleet management software (WEBFLEET) that does the following:
- It provides you with all of the tools and data you need to manage your fleet and personnel on the road.
- is their industry-leading, game-changing Fleet Management Software as a Service (SaaS);
- It employs a basic, streamlined, user-friendly interface with little clicks and clean lines to make it clutter-free.
- keeps you in touch with your team when on the road, no matter where you are.
- GPS tracking is utilised to indicate where your cars are and how they are being used.
- It allows you to see and analyse your performance statistics.
- When assigning work to the nearest driver, it considers real-time traffic information.
- improves vehicle performance, lowers fuel costs, boosts driver performance, and boosts overall fleet efficiency.
Samsara is one of the most well-known names in fleet management, owing in part to its comprehensive fleet management software solution. Their software includes:
- Real-time telematics is used to track the position of a vehicle in real time.
- Is geofencing and out-of-bounds notifications compatible?
- Dashcam technology may be used to warn teams of inattentive drivers and capture big accidents.
- Data is saved for historical performance analysis.
- It gives your team the performance data they need to enhance fuel economy and vehicle health.
- It combines usability with enterprise-level security, scalability, and versatility.
- A simple, intuitive, and modern design is employed;
- is a robust fleet management application that will assist your team in enhancing driver and asset security while cutting expenses and increasing profit.
AMS Fleet Manager claims to be the number one vehicle tracking solution in the United States. Their fleet management software includes:
- assists your team in optimising the operational efficiency of your drivers.
- It simplifies the coordination of correct delivery and arrival timings for your consumers.
- is a comprehensive product portfolio that can be tailored to your specific needs, with a variety of flexible payment options;
- It contains numerous features for vehicle tracking.
- It uses the sophisticated AMS Dashboard, which was created with a minimum of mouse clicks in mind;
- It includes custom report choices as well as the deployment of other corporate apps.
- Simple check boxes are used to display additional statistics such as speed, idle time, driver behavior, and more.
- It displays the worldwide position, date, time, speed, direction, and status information for each asset. Because each user has their own profile, you can get to the dashboard from any device that can connect to the internet.
Geotab provides fleet management software, allowing you to manage your whole fleet from a single comprehensive platform. MyGeotab software provides the following features:
- Web-based fleet management software is accessible to all Geotab clients regardless of feature package: Base, Regulatory, Professional, and Professional Plus;
- All of your vehicle and driver information is in one place, making it easier and faster to make better-informed business choices.
- Intelligent technology that can be tailored to any size fleet
- Effective fleet management tools for creating new chances for development and savings
- With driver feedback and coaching technologies built into cars, there are new ways to encourage safe driving.
- a fleet management platform that is available in seven different languages;
- On a single platform, you can find high-value fleet management data, live GPS monitoring, route optimization, and a number of other fleet management services.
- Benchmarking reports are fleet management reports that compare one group’s activities to another in order to examine idle trends and other issues. Driver coaching and dangerous behaviour reduction are both achievable with the software’s features.
Omnitracs promotes their Omnitracs One solution, which is a technological software meant to optimise daily activities for logistics fleets. It contains the following items:
- Smart forms, driver workflow, and other features increase efficiency.
- a strong emphasis on safety, as well as the tools required to create a safer fleet. Both driver safety monitoring and in-cab video systems are available.
- Fleet planning has been optimised. The Omnitracs Transportation Management System includes robust routing and dispatch solutions.
- A simple way to link your teams, make it easy for people to share information, and increase overall visibility.
- A communication system that is cloud-based
- It’s artificial intelligence that unlocks new efficiencies without requiring more IT resources;
- Reduced manual labour as automation and efficient procedures improve your business;
- Adaptability to include third-party solutions and new features.
NexTraq is a subsidiary of the Michelin Group. They have a comprehensive suite of cloud-based apps that work together to provide a robust fleet management software bundle. The software has the following features:
- NexTraq® Web Portal now includes GoogleTM Street View.This gives management teams an aerial perspective of mobile assets, drivers, and vehicles.
- Solutions for GPS fleet tracking and asset tracking to help you optimise your fleet operations and get more done.
- You can assign assignments, provide work comments, receive progress updates, and more directly from the app with easier dispatching.
- Geofencing that is stronger, quicker, and more comprehensive, driven by Google Maps;
- When your cars enter or leave virtual boundaries around job sites that are set up with geofencing, you will be notified right away.
- Asset security through preventing the unlawful usage of business cars. This also decreases liability concerns, insurance prices, and the possibility of property damage.
- A Job Schedule Board that makes dispatching more efficient, increases the productivity of field workers, and can make customers happier;
- Your team’s instantaneous response to dangerous or unsafe driving behaviour keeps your drivers and organisation safe.
Azuga has created a fleet management app with a significant emphasis on GPS tracking. Azuga FleetMobile, their fleet tracking app, has the following features:
- All of the equipment necessary for your drivers to accomplish their jobs efficiently;
- Managers and office teams can easily monitor and reward drivers using the admin view.
- Each driver is given a safety rating, which suggests that their performance is being tracked in real time and that it is easy to rate themselves.
- DriveSafe is an optional feature that helps to restrict smartphone distractions, including texting, calling, and app use, while the car is in motion.
- Comprehensive travel records based on data gathered during each journey;
- vehicle health monitoring, resulting in less maintenance and increased efficiency;
- full navigation tracking with the ability to integrate third-party apps,
- When safety hazards (such as speeding or hard braking) are recognised, automatic alerts and notifications are generated.
Zubie simplifies fleet management. The Zubie Fleet Connect Dashboard and driver applications offer the following features:
- This is the information your team requires to eliminate risky driving habits and improve fuel economy.
- You can save money on your fleet by looking at past trips and planning routes in more detail.
- Possibilities for teaching drivers based on their unique Driver Score and improving overall fleet road safety
- Notifications and alerts regarding harmful practices such as harsh braking and speeding;
- Weekly and monthly reports, including fleet-level performance, driver performance, and trip history;
- The large picture of your fleet operation includes fleet-wide trends that allow you to arrange your fleets for simple comparison;
- Dashboard view sharing, accessible to other users and in several places;
- Detailed information about the health of your vehicle lets you know about major problems and lowers maintenance costs.
#10. Verizon Connect
Verizon Connect is one of the major providers of fleet management systems in the United States. Their fleet management software includes:
- It allows you to have a near-real-time, 360-degree picture of your fleet’s daily activities.
- It allows you to schedule and manage projects, as well as dispatch them to field technicians and deliver more precise ETAs.
- assists you in responding to customer queries by providing improved insight into tech and work status;
- With an easy-to-use calendar, it simplifies scheduling.
- It displays available field employees, organises service visits and jobs, and updates customer information to incorporate job specifics.
- It allows you to interact quickly with field technicians.
- It notifies a driver if they are late for a job or have not viewed the work assigned to them.
- It enables you to use the same system for GPS fleet tracking and field service software. From a single centre, you can view work status, plan a job, and follow your car in near real-time.