A huge pagefile.sys file can take up a serious amount of space. Here’s how to remove Pagefile.Sys Huge or control its page file.sys delete No matter how big your hard disc is, sooner or later you’ll find yourself running out of space, but not all of the clutter is yours and Microsoft fills up your hard disk with lots of things that can get out of control. One of the biggest culprits is the reduced pagefile.sys huge Windows 10, which can soon get out of hand.
This pagefile.sys Reddit is where your virtual memory resides. This is disc space that subs in for main system RAM when you run out of that: real memory is temporarily backed up to your hard disk. If your computer is struggling, it’s usually good to have a good pagefile.sys huge location chunk of HDD space reserved for virtual memory, but if your PC is running fine, you can reclaim the space for other stuff. Here’s how to delete a Pagefile.Sys Huge Reddit page in just a few quick steps.
What is a Page File?
Pagefile.sys huge Windows 10 is a swap file generated by the Windows Operating System. The file is generally stored in the “C” driver’s root directory. This works as a swap memory when your main memory, i.e., RAM, runs out of space. The Pagefile.sys huge Windows 10 is also used for a faster transaction between your main memory and secondary memory. However, due to storing multiple chunks of data, the file eventually gets bigger.
Why is Pagefile.sys huge Windows 10?
As we have already said, the pagefile.sys size is used for swapping data between your hard disk and main memory. Due to its swapping nature, the pagefile.sys location keeps on adding multiple chunks of data, which ultimately results in bigger file size. When you run big applications on your computer and you have limited RAM available, the OS generates a virtual file that operates as virtual memory for temporarily running those applications.
How to Move pagefile.sys
By default pagefile.sys huge is around 12GB in size. However, this will vary depending on how many resources your PC uses and the amount of physical RAM it has.
To save on precious hard drive space, you can move pagefile.sys to an external drive. This may increase your system speed depending on the type of disk e.g. an SSD and access speeds e.g. via USB 3.0. Whichever drive you use, make sure it is formatted to NTFS, which can handle larger file sizes.
- In Windows 10 open ‘Control Panel’.
- Select the Windows icon at the bottom left of your desktop and enter the word “Advanced”.
- Next, choose ‘view advanced system settings. In the ‘Performance’ section click ‘Settings’.
- In the new window which opens, click the ‘Advanced tab. Find the section named ‘Virtual Memory’ and click ‘Change’.
2. Select your External Drive
From the ‘Virtual Memory’ window, uncheck the option ‘Automatically manage paging file size of each drive’ Under ‘System manages file’ select ‘No paging file’. Next, select the external drive that is showing under the C Drive.
How to Reduce the Size of Pagefile.sys huge
Returning to our original question, how can we resize the Pagefile.sys? There is a simple way of shrinking a big Pagefile.sys file, but you have to have a little knowledge of the Windows operating system as this process can be tricky for some people. However, if you follow the guide given below, you can easily pagefile.sys the big pagefile.sys file.
The first step is to resize thepagefile.sys huge file is to locate it first. You won’t be able to find it in Windows Explorer. That’s because the file is important in the Windows operating system and thus it is hidden and protected from viewing publicly. Here are the steps you need to follow if you want to locate Pagefile.sys
- Go to the Windows search bar and type “Control Panel” and click on the first option.
- Go to Advanced System Settings.
- Click on Performance >> Settings >> and select the Advanced tab to access advanced performance settings.
- Scroll down and you will find the Virtual Memory section where the amount of the allocated version memory for the pagefile.sys file is given.
If you want to remove the pagefile.sys headers, then follow this step, otherwise jump over to.
- Click on the Change button and then check the boxes, making sure that the “no paging file” box is ticked and accepting the changes.
- This will remove the pagefile.sys file and free up disk space on your reduce.
- Where you will learn about how to redisc the Pagefile.sys file on your computer.
You always need virtual memory to ensure that your PC never runs into trouble. However, you can control the size and amount allocated to this virtual memory. This way, you can have your virtual memory but in a controlled manner.
Here are the steps to follow in order to successfully resize your Step 3, where you will learn about how to resize the Pagefile.sys file:
- On the Advanced settings option of the performance tab, deselect “automatically manage paging file size of each drive” and instead, select the custom size option.
- In the “Initial Size (MD)” field, enter the minimum value that you want to allocate, while in the “Maximum Size (MB)” field, enter the maximum amount you want to allocate.
- Please make sure that both the values are in MB (1024MB=1GB). You can allocate up to 3 times the size of your RAM as virtual memory.
- Finally, click the “set” button and again click on the OK button if asked for confirmation.
Which value should I use for the size of my paging file?
The’starting size (MB)’ should be equal to one and a half times the entire amount of RAM. and the amount of RAM multiplied by three for the ‘Maximum size (MB)’ option.
How can I lower the size of the page file?
If you find that the amounts that are automatically added are too high, you may add a custom amount by following the instructions that are above.
You may wish to adjust the size of your page file for a variety of reasons, and if you want to find a solution that is effective, it can take some experimentation on your part. But from what I’ve seen, most of the time the system’s default settings are good enough.Therefore, give serious thought to the possible motivations behind the change you want to make.
Windows is a great operating system and does almost everything on its own without any human input. If your PC is running slowly or if you are having a problem while operating third-party apps, then try to upgrade your RAM rather than deleting or resizing the pagefile.sys huge file. Please let us know if you have any more questions or queries regarding Pagefile.sys huge Windows 10.